Mum and paramedic Nikki, whose popular Instagram page gives tips to keep newborns safe, has warned parents of the dangers of loose hairs wrapping around a baby’s fingers and toes
A vigilant mum has warned parents about how much damage a single strand of hair can do to a newborn baby.
Paramedic and Instamum Nikki posted a Reel on her popular parenting page, Tiny Heart Education, telling new mums and dads to be vigilant against “tourniquet syndrome”.
The highly preventable condition happens when a loose strand of hair wraps itself around the newborn’s growing digits or limbs, cutting off blood circulation.
In the most serious cases the syndrome requires surgery.
Nikki told her 140k followers they should include fingers and toes in a list of things to check when their child is crying.
She wrote: “If your child is suddenly and inconsolably crying don’t forget to strip them off and check their fingers, toes and private area for stray hairs!
“Hairs can wrap themselves around their little parts and cut off circulation and cause immense pain and long -term damage.”
Rather than using scissors to snip the hair she said a ‘quick and painless’ solution is to use hair removal cream.
The cream reacts with the hair follicles and dissolves the hair over 10 minutes, Nikki said.
If the tourniquet has broken the little one’s skin, hair cream should be avoided., she added.
Nikki warned that if the hair cream doesn’t loosen the strand, you should visit A&E immediately.
Many new mums notice significant hair loss in the first few months after giving birth and Nikki advised against brushing hair in the vicinity of their little ones.
Dr Donald McGregor of the Royal College of Paediatrics confirmed tourniquet syndrome is a very real and present danger in the home of a newborn.
“We’re not entirely sure why they can wrap so tightly but hair is softer when wet and contracts and stiffens when dry so that might be a factor.’
He added that raising awareness is one of the best forms of prevention for the syndrome, paired with telling parents to check toes and fingers if their baby is crying.
Nikki’s page is filled with useful tips on parenting, including stories on the difference between gagging and choking, and how to urgently clear airwaves when a youngster experiences the latter.
In other posts she details the types of allergic reactions experienced by youngsters